top of page

The TikTok "Ban"

  • McKinley Owczarski
  • Feb 10
  • 2 min read


On January 18th, 2025, America was in shambles over the supposed TikTok ban that was set to occur on January 19th. Users were saying their goodbyes, and some were even searching frantically for new alternatives to the addictive app. TikTok was originally set to ban after Congress passed a law for the ban due to their belief the owners of TikTok were

stealing American users’ information. There were many failed attempts to save the app, such as the case going to the Supreme Court. So, when the time came on January 19th, it seemed that TikTok’s fate was sealed. Users got a notification late January 18th night, stating that TikTok was unavailable.




However, the message also indicated that President Trump was working to bring the app back to American users. This proved to be true, and the ban lifted the next morning, welcoming Americans back to the app. Despite the lifted ban, the app still cannot be downloaded from the app store, and can only be accessed if previously owned. For now, via Trump’s executive order, TikTok is delayed from a full ban. Albeit this story had a happy ending, it does not take away from the mayhem felt on January 18th. Some students were terrified, others hopeful, and even a portion felt relieved by the impending ban. 

Many students at Blacksburg High School were frightened to see their lives without TikTok. “I thought it was over for me, I had no idea what I would do without TikTok. Probably touch some grass,” said Beckett Socha (12). The app had captivated so many, they genuinely could not envision their lives without it. TikTok creates an easy source of entertainment that is equal parts fun and addictive. So, in the face of the ban, many were scared to lose that platform.


On the other hand, many kept faith that the ban wouldn’t last long (or wouldn’t happen at all). Tea Bissell (12) said, “I was thinking that it wasn’t going to last. When I got the notification that it was banned, I was like, there’s no way this lasts for more than 24 hours.” Call it skeptical or call it psychic, but her prediction proved to be true. The TikTok ban lasted less than twelve hours, much to the relief of Blacksburg High School students. 

However, some thought that the sudden ban, and unban, was a large stunt to make President Trump look good as he assumed office. Parker Dunn (11) said, “I think the TikTok ban was all a big government scheme. It was fake.” Is he right? Is he wrong? The answer to those questions remains unsolved, but nevertheless attracts some theorists such as Parker. 

The dramatic, but brief, TikTok ban caused many different opinions and reactions. Some were excited that they would have more free time, while others were scared to lose their favorite form of entertainment. Going a different direction, some students at Blacksburg either felt that the ban wouldn’t last or that it was all a conspiracy. No matter who or what they believed, a large sigh of relief can be heard throughout the halls of BHS as TikTok is, for the moment, unbanned.


 

Written by Molly Nelson

Photography by Elayna Weatherspoon

Comentarios


bottom of page